Golden Gardens Park, Seattle; Photo by Kathryn Schledwitz
Wow the summer flies by! Between weddings, festivals, visitors, and the 3-day holiday weekends that turned into 5-day trips, I am sure I am not the only one who has stayed busy. Not to mention that sunshine in Seattle is cherished like a bottle of wine that has been aging for 9 years (or months in the case of Seattle). Three months of perfect weather has inspired me to buy a bike, form a softball team, summit my first mountain, and fish more than I ever have in my life! (If that’s what I have to do to get on a boat, I’m in.) Have you tried something new?
Through it all, I have been jamming in my convertible to some fun songs that I am dying to share with you. So, before the summer slips away, go on a run, organize a park party, play an outdoor sport, hike/fish/bike… just get outside to play… and jam!
Note: There are two ways to listen on Spotify: Click here for the QL: Summer Jams playlist that includes the 10 songs below plus my additional recommendations from that artist. Want more? Then click here for the Qlette’s Discover This master playlist with the 10 songs below plus the featured songs from previous articles (You can also just hit play on the playlist embedded at the end). Then click “follow” to get the monthly updates!
Bear Mountain at Capitol Hill Block Party; Photo by Kathryn Schledwitz
1. Bear Mountain – Congo
- Sounds… synth-heavy. This is my favorite album of the summer!
- Like it? Check out: Faded, Two Step, Sing
- Hails from: Vancouver
- Tour Destinations: Portland (9/6 & 9/22), Canada (9/7-9/14), Seattle (9/20), SF (9/24), LA (9/26), Texas (10/6-10/13), New Orleans (10/9) & more!
2. Smallpools – Dreaming
- Sounds… like Passion Pit
- Like it? Check out: Mason Jar, Over & Over
- Hails from: two pairs of Oregon & NJ expats formed the band in L.A.
- Tour Destinations: LA (9/4), Houston* (10/8), Tulsa* (10/10), Tuscon* (10/15) *with Walk the Moon!
3. Big Black Delta – Betamax
- Sounds… synth rock that will seduce you
- Like it? Check out: Side of the Road, Capsize, Money Rain Down, Into the Night
- Hails from: solo artist, Jonathan Bates, is L.A. based
- Tour Destinations: Europe (til 9/6), Raleigh (9/7), Boston (9/8), LA (9/13), SF (9/14), Seattle (9/26), Austin (11/8) & more!
4. Pacific Air – Float
- Sounds… playful indie pop with snapping and whistling
- Like it? Check out: the album is solid, but lacks another stand-out jam
- Hails from: the brothers are born of nomadic West Coast parents
- Tour Destinations: SF (9/3), Portland (9/5)
5. Xylos – Summerlong
- Sounds… electro-pop with a female lead
- Like it? Check out: DNA
- Hails from: Brooklyn
6. Fire In The Hamptons – Humanimal
- Sounds… dance electro-pop
- Like it? Check out: I Play the Drums, Crystalize
- Hails from: L.A.
- Tour Destinations: 4 upcoming shows in L.A.
7. Max and the Moon – Out of My Head
- Sounds… SoCal indie rock
- Like it? Check out: Light House
- Hails from: Chino Hills, CA
- Tour Destinations: 5 upcoming shows in L.A.
8. Dale Earnhardt Jr. Jr. – If You Didn’t See Me (Then You Weren’t On The Dancefloor)
- Sounds… quirky indie pop (more whistling!)
- Like it? Check out: Dark Water
- Hails from: Detroit
- Tour Destinations: Midwest through Oct 2nd, NYC* (10/10 & 10/11), Toronto (10/14), Portland* (11/9), Vancouver* (11/10), Seattle* (11/11) *with Atlas Genius
9. Betty Who – You’re In Love
- Sounds… like Katy Perry
- Like it? Check out: Somebody Loves You
- Hails from: raised in Sydney, now residing in NYC
10. Bestfriends – Body Rock
- Sounds… more electro-pop (this is a jams playlist after all)
- Like it? Check out: A-Sides, Work
- Hails from: Chicago duo
- Tour Destinations: Chicago (9/7)
BONUS Jams: Johnny Stimson – Human Man and Here We Go Again